Under British Raj
During 18th century the Kurumbrnad Rajas ruled the South-East Wayanad (Nilgiri- Wayanad) and the tiny country was known as Parakkumeethil. The other part of Wayanad was under the control of Kottayam Rajahs. As a result of a dispute between the Kurumbrnad and Kottayam Rajas, Kurumbarnad Raja gave up his country and Kottayam Rajas controlled Parakkumeethil and Wayanad. Later Tippu Sultan seized Wayanad from the Kottayam Raja.
The first record of European presence in the Nilgiris was in 1602, when a Syrian Christian priest and a deacon visited Nilgiris to investigate the existence of lost tribe of Christians. After the defeat of Tippu Sultan in 1799, Wayanad was ceded to British empire, but Kerala Varma Raja (Pazhassi Rajah) resisted all attempts of the company to take possession of the country. From 1796 to 1806, during Pazhassi Raja’s struggle against the East India Company a series of watch posts had been established on the top of high peaks to trap and fight the Pazhassi Rajah’s supporters . One of these military post was established in Nelliyalam which was manned by small parties of East India Company soldiers. In 1805 Pazhssi Raja was killed by British army and with the death of PazassiWayand fully come under the control of British Raj.
After the fall of Srirangapatnam in 1799, Marquis of Wellesley - the then Governor General of India decided to survey the annexed land. From the year 1799 to 1819 the Nilgiri plateau was under the control of British administration, East India company made arrangements to collect revenue from the area. In 1812, Mr.Garrow - Collector of Coimbatore appointed a surveyor named William Keys to survey Nilgiris and succeeded by Mr. J.Sullivan collector of Coimbatore. In 1877, Pandalur Area of the South-East Nilgiris ( AKA: Lower Nilgiris or Nilgiri-Waynaad) known as CherankodeAmsam was transferred to Nilgiri District for administrative purpose.